Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DUNTERTON

DUNTERTON, a parish in Tavistock district, Devon; on the river Tamar, 5 miles SE by S of Launceston, and 3½ SSW of Lifton r. station. It contains the hamlet of Eastacott; and its post town is Milton-Abbot, under Tavistock. Acres, 1, 161. Real property, £1, 597. Pop., 181. Houses, 35. The property is all in one estate. A fine waterfall, over a rocky precipice 100 feet high, occurs in a stream flowing to the Tamar. There are two ancient mounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported. Patron, R. G. Paramore, Esq. The church is chiefly decorated English; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a handsome tower; and is in good condition. A chantry chapel stood in Chapel-Field; and remains of it were converted into a cow-house.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Dunterton AP/CP       Tavistock PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place: Dunterton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.