Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EDDISBURY

EDDISBURY, a township and a hundred in Cheshire. The township is in Delamere parish, and lies in Delamere forest, 7½ miles SW of Northwich. Acres, 3, 890. Real property, £1, 634; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop., 228. Houses, 41. It was known to the Saxons as Eadersbyrig; it had a fortification belonging. to Ethelfleda, and now occupied by a lodge; and it gives the title of baron to the Stanleys of Alderley. -The hundred lies around the township; contains eleven parishes and parts of six others; and is cut into two divisions, East and West. Acres of the E. div., 46, 009; of the W. div., 46, 863. Pop. of both, 30, 339. Houses, 6, 135.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a hundred"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Delamere CP/ExP       Eddisbury Tn/CP       Cheshire AncC
Place names: EADERSBYRIG     |     EDDISBURY
Place: Eddisbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.