Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EDLINGTON

EDLINGTON, a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire; 2½ miles SE of Conisbrough r. station and 4¾ SE by S of Doncaster. Post town, Conisbrough, under Rotherham. Acres, 1, 727. Real property, £2, 314. Pop., 149. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £260. Patron,-B. Wrightson, Esq. The church is ancient and good; and has a Norman arch, a square tower, and a memorial window, -the last of two lights, representing Christ's baptism and the last supper, and placed in it in 1859.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Edlington AP/CP       Doncaster PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Edlington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.