Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EDLINGTON

EDLINGTON, a parish in Horncastle district, Lincoln; under the Wolds, adjacent to the river Bain, 3¼ miles NW of Horncastle r. station. It has a post office under Horncastle. Acres, 2, 900. Real property, £4, 038. Pop., 212. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. Edlington Grove is the seat of the Shorts. The parish is a meet for the South Wolds hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £352. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was partially rebuilt in 1860.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Edlington CP/AP       Horncastle PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Edlington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.