Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EGTON-WITH-NEWLAND

EGTON-WITH-NEWLAND, a township-chapelry in Ulverston parish, Lancashire; on the estuary of the Leven, and on the Ulverston and Lancaster railway, 1½ mile SW by S of Cark and Cartmel r. station, and 3 N of Ulverston. Post town, Cark, under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 3, 390. Real property, £5, 502; of which £66 are in ironworks. Pop., 1, 231. Houses, 236. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £161. Patron, J. P. Machell, Esq. The church is modern.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Egton With Newland Ch/CP       Ulverston CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Egton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.