Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ELHAM

ELHAM, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Kent. The village stands on the river Stone, near the Elham Valley railway, 6 miles NNE of Hythe; has a post office under Canterbury; is a seat of petty sessions; and was once a market-town. The E. Valley railway was authorised in 1866, goes from Canterbury to Hythe, and has connecting branches. The parish comprises 6, 570 acres. Real property, £7, 855. Pop., 1, 159. Houses, 241. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at the Conquest, to Earl Hugh; and passed, through the Leybournes and others, to the Oxendens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £390.* Patron, Merton College, Oxford, under nomination by the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early and later English. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school, the latter with £65.—The sub-district contains also the parishes of Swingfield, Acrise, Paddlesworth, Lyminge, Stelling-Minnis, Stelling, Elmsted, and Stouting. Acres, 20, 916. Pop., 3, 841. Houses, 715.—The district comprehends also the sub-district of Folkestone, containing the parishes of Folkestone, Hawkinge, and Cheriton; and the sub-district of Hythe, containing the parishes of Hythe-St. Leonard, Monks-Horton, Standford, Postling, Saltwood, Newington-next-Hythe, Lympne, and Sellinge. Acres, 43, 197. Poor-rates in 1862, £10, 716. Pop. in 1851, 18, 780; in 1861, 26, 925. Houses, 3, 904. Marriages in 1860, 149; births, 721, -of which 30 were illegitimate; deaths, 438, -of which 149 were at ages under 5 years, and 20 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 489; births, 6, 656; deaths, 4, 017. The places of worship in 1851 were 21 of the Church of England, with 7, 075 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 620 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 643 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 425 s.; 9 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1, 406 s.; 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 60 s.; 2 of Bible Christians, with 264 s.; and 1 undefined, with 144 s. The schools were 25 public day schools, with 1, 962 scholars; 43 private day schools, with 951 s.; and 26 Sunday schools, with 2, 189 s. The workhouse is in Lyminge.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Elham CP/AP       Elham SubD       Elham PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place: Elham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.