Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ELLINGHAM

ELLINGHAM, a township in Belford district, and a parish partly also in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The township lies 2 miles WSW of Chathill r. station, and 6½ SSE of Belford; and has a post office under Chathill. Acres, 3, 109. Pop., 280. Houses, 46. The parish contains also the townships of Chathill, Preston, Doxford, North Charlton, and South Charlton. Acres, 9, 124. Real property, £8, 790; of which £40 are in mines. Pop., 813. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. Ellingham Hall is the seat of Sir John Haggerston, Bart. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Ralph de Gangy. Coal and limestone occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £538.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church dates from the 12th century; and was recently rebuilt. The p. curacy of South Charlton is a separate benefice.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Alnwick PLU/RegD       Northumberland AncC
Place: Ellingham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.