Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ELSTREE, or Idlestree

ELSTREE, or Idlestree, a parish in the district of Barnet and county of Hertford; and a village partly in this parish and partly in the Middlesex parishes of Little Stanmore and Edgware. The village stands near the Midland railway, 3 miles NNW of Edgware; and has a Post office designated Elstree, Herts, and a railway station. The parish comprises 1, 370 acres. Real property, £3, 761. Pop., 402. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the abbey of St. Albans; and passed to the Denings, the Briscoes, and the Byngs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £304.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good and handsome; and has a modern tower and spire. The remains of William Weare, who was murdered in 1823 by Thurtell, Probert, and Hunt, lie in the churchyard. Charities, £28.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Elstree AP/CP       Hertfordshire AncC
Place names: ELSTREE     |     ELSTREE OR IDLESTREE     |     IDLESTREE
Place: Elstree

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.