Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ELVASTON

ELVASTON, a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; on the river Derwent, adjacent to the Derby canal, and the Derby and Leicester railway, near Borrowash r. station, and 4½ miles SE by E of Derby. Post town, Alvaston, under Derby. Acres, 2, 760. Real property, £5, 700. Pop., 499. Houses, 114. The manor belonged to the Blunts and the Poles; and passed to the Stanhopes. Elvaston Castle is the seat of the Earl of Harrington. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £350. Patron, the Earl of Harrington. The church is ancient; has a pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Stanhopes. Charities, £148.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Elvaston CP/AP       Shardlow PLU/RegD       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Elvaston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.