Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FARNBOROUGH

FARNBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Bromley district, Kent. The village stands near the direct railway to Tunbridge, 4¼ miles SE by S of Bromley; has a post office under Bromley, a railway station, a police station, a national school, a large brewery, and a fair on 12 Sept.; was once a market town; and gave the title of baron to the Longs. The parish comprises 1, 412 acres. Real property, £3, 055. Pop., 955. Houses, 155. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Chelsfield, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church was built in the 17th century, and is good. The Bromley workhouse is here.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Farnborough Ch/CP       Bromley PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place: Farnborough

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.