Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FARNLEY

FARNLEY, a chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire; within Leeds parliamentary borough, 2 miles W of Churwell r. station, and 4 SW by W of Leeds. Acres, 1, 990. Real property, £13, 280; of which £3, 704 are in mines, £1, 960 in ironworks, and £45 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 722; in 1861, 3, 064. Houses, 619. The property is divided among a few. Farnley Hall is a chief residence. The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of ironworks, and the erection of houses for the operatives. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cloth trade. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £204.* Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church was built in the last century, and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and P. Methodists, a national school, and an ironworks school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Farnley Ch/CP       Leeds CP/AP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Farnley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.