Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FINSTOCK

FINSTOCK, a hamlet and a chapelry in Charlbury parish, Oxford. The hamlet lies near the river Even-lode, 2½ miles SSW of Charlbury r. station, and 4½ N of Witney. Acres, 1, 220. Real property, £1, 526. Pop., 533. Houses, 118. The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Fawler; bears the name of Finstock and Fawler: and was constituted in 1860. Post town, Charlbury, under Enstone. Acres, 2, 200. Real property, £4, 075. Pop., 676. Houses, 147. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £75.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is modern; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Charlbury CP/AP       Oxfordshire AncC
Place names: FAWLER     |     FINSTOCK
Place: Finstock

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.