Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FORD

FORD, a manor in Hoath parish, Kent; near Herne, and 5 miles NE of Canterbury. A palace of the archbishops of Canterbury stood here; dated probably from the time of King Ethelbert; was the most ancient residence of the archbishops, except that of Canterbury; was rebuilt, in the time of Henry VII., by Archbishop Moreton; was demolished, and the materials of it sold, in the time of the Commonwealth; was restored by Charles II., but soon afterwards neglected; and is now represented by only some very small remains. It was a brick structure, yet seems to have been magnificent. Cranmer often resided at it; reviewed here the "Articles of Religion;" had many conferences here with Ridley, then vicar of Herne; and was apprehended here for committal to the Tower. Abbot retired hither, after his suspension; and Whitgift sometimes resided here, and hunted in the park.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a manor"   (ADL Feature Type: "land parcels")
Administrative units: Hoath CP/Ch       Kent AncC

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.