Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FORDWICH

FORDWICH, a village and a parish in Bridge district, Kent. The village stands on the river Stour, adjacent to Sturry r. station, 2 miles ENE of Canterbury; was known at Domesday as Forewich; shows marks of great antiquity; is a member of Sandwich cinque port, and a seat of sessions; and gives the title of Viscount to Earl Cowper. The Stour was formerly tidal to this point; and Fordwich was then a port, visited by sea-borne ships, and had extensive fisheries. The trout, in its vicinity, have always been famous, and are noted by Fuller as differing, in many considerable properties, from all other trout. The parish comprises 459 acres. Real property, £1, 335. Pop., 202. Houses, 49. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £178. Patron, Earl Cowper. The church comprises two aisles and a chancel, with a steeple; is in pretty good condition; and formerly contained a curious Saxon tomb, which was removed to Canterbury cathedral. Charities, £46.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Fordwich AP/CP       Bridge PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place names: FORDWICH     |     FOREWICH
Place: Fordwich

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.