Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FRAMLINGTON (Long)

FRAMLINGTON (Long), a township and a parish in Rothbury district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Coquet, 5½ miles ESE of Rothbury, and 6 ½ WSW of Acklington r. station; and has a post office under Morpeth, and fairs on the second Tuesday of July, 23 Aug., and 22 Oct. The parish includes also the townships of Brinkburn - High - Ward and Brinkburn-Low-Ward. Acres, 4, 962. Real property, £2, 980; of which £170 are in mines. Pop., 447. Houses, 111. A tract of about 1, 000 acres in the west, is wild and dreary moorland, and has a great number of cairns. The Devil's Causeway, connected with Watling Street, goes over the moors; and there are large heaps of scoriæ, probably relics of Roman smelting works. Coal, limestone, and freestone are plentiful, but have been but little worked. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Felton, in the diocese of Durham. There has been a Presbyterian congregation since 1640.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Longframlington Ch/CP       Rothbury PLU/RegD       Northumberland AncC
Place names: FRAMLINGTON     |     FRAMLINGTON LONG     |     LONG FRAMLINGTON
Place: Longframlington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.