Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FROXFIELD

FROXFIELD, a village and a parish in the district of Hungerford and county of Wilts. The village stands near the Kennet and Avon canal, and near the Mid Wilts railway, 3¼ miles W of Hungerford; and has a post office under Hungerford. The parish includes the tythings of Hughditch, Oakhill, and Rudge. Acres, 2, 214. Real property, £2, 926. Pop., 530. Houses, 144. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £122. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church is very good. The Duchess of Somerset's almshouses here were founded in 1686; form an oblong quadrangle, surrounding a court, with a small chapel in the interior; gave maintenance to thirty widows of clergymen, and twenty widows of laymen; and have an endowed income of £2, 370.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Froxfield AP/CP       Wiltshire AncC
Place: Froxfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.