Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FROXFIELD

FROXFIELD, a village and a parish in Petersfield district, Hants. The village stands 3¼ miles WNW of Petersfield town and r. station; is a beautiful place; and has a post office under Petersfield. The parish comprises 4, 898 acres. Real property, £4, 237. Pop., 657. Houses, 138. The property is subdivided. Basing House, near the village, is a fine mansion. An ancient earthwork is here, and has yielded many fragments of Roman pottery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of W. The church was built in 1863, at a cost of £2, 300; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel; is of flint, with stone dressings; and includes some Norman work of the previous church, which was of Norman date. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school, the latter with £28 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Froxfield Ch/CP       Petersfield PLU/RegD       Hampshire AncC
Place: Froxfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.