Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FYFIELD

FYFIELD, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; on the river Roding, 2¾ miles NNE of Chipping-Ongar, and 7½ NW of Ingatestone r. station. It has a post office under Ongar. Acres, 2, 450. Real property, £3, 675. Pop., 629. Houses, 121. The property is much subdivided. A number of celts, and a large quantity of metal for casting them, were found here in 1749. The parish is a meet for the Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £741.* Patron, Countess Cowley. The church is ancient, but very good. Walker's endowment for a school and the poor has £47; and other charities have £19.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Fyfield CP/AP       Ongar PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place: Fyfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.