Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GADDESDEN (Great)

GADDESDEN (Great), a village and a parish in Hemet Hempstead district, Herts. The village stands on the river Gade, 3 miles N E of Berkhampstead r. station, and 3¼ NW of Hemel Hempstead; takes its name from the river Gade; and was known at Domesday as Gadesdene. The parish includes also the hamlet of Gaddesden Row; and its post town is Little Gaddesden, under Hemel-Hempstead. Acres, 4, 074. Real property, £5, 991. Pop., 1, 147. Houses, 224. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by Edmund, Duke of Cornwall, to Ashridge college; and passed to the Egertons. Gaddesden Place and Gaddesden Park are chief residences; and the former is the seat of Mrs. Halsley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £220. Patron, Mrs. Halsley. The church is Norman, with a modern tower; was recently restored; and contains monuments to the Egertons and the Halsleys. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £36.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Great Gaddesden CP/AP       Hertfordshire AncC
Place names: GADDESDEN     |     GADDESDEN GREAT     |     GADESDENE     |     GREAT GADDESDEN
Place: Great Gaddesden

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.