Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GADDESDEN (Little)

GADDESDEN (Little), a parish in Berkhampstead district, Herts; on the river Gade, near the boundary with Bucks and Beds, 3¾ miles NE of Tring r. station, and 5 N of Great Berkhampstead. It has a post office under Hemel-Hempstead. Acres, 924. Real property, £1, 826. Pop., 386. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Zouches; passed to the Stanleys and the Egertons; and belongs now to Earl Brownlow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £302.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is good; has an embattled tower; and contains monuments of the Egertons. There are a national school, and charities £33. John de Gaddesden, the famous physician of the early part of the 14th century, was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Little Gaddesden AP/CP       Berkhampstead PLU/RegD       Hertfordshire AncC
Place names: GADDESDEN     |     GADDESDEN LITTLE     |     LITTLE GADDESDEN
Place: Little Gaddesden

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.