Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GATEFORTH

GATEFORTH, a township-chapelry in Brayton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1¾ mile SSE of Hambleton r. station, and 4¼ WSW of Selby. Post town, Hambleton, under Selby. Acres, 1, 410. Real property, £2, 437. Pop., 174. Houses, 35. The property is all in one estate. Gateforth Hall is the seat of H. Osbaldeston, Esq. Gate-forth Common is a meet for the Bramham Moor hunt. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £105. Patron, H. Osbaldeston, Esq. The church is modern.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Brayton CP/AP       Gateforth Tn/CP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Gateforth

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.