Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GERRANS

GERRANS, a village and a parish in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands on the W side of a bay of its own name, and near the head of St. Mawe's harbour., 7 miles SW by S of Tregony, and 7½ SSE of Truro r. station; is alleged to have been founded by Gerennius, a king of Cornwall, in the latter part of the 6th century; and has a post office under Grampound. The parish contains also the hamlet of Porthskatho. Acres, 2, 870; of which 215 are water. Real property, £3, 752. Pop., 935. Houses, 215. The manor belonged formerly to the bishops of Exeter. An ancient earthwork, called Dungerein, situated N of the church, and communicating with the shore by a subterranean passage, is regarded as a vestige of a fort or palace of a King Gerennius. The rocks include slate. Gerrans bay has a semicircular outline, and measures about 2½ miles across the chord. A fine specimen of a raised beach, consisting of pebbles cemented into conglomerate by oxide of iron, is on its E shore. The living of Gerrans is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Valne, £258.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church stands on an eminence, with a fine view, and contains a monument to the Hobbe family. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £9.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Gerrans AP/CP       Truro PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place: Gerrans

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.