Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GLADESTRY

GLADESTRY, a parish in Presteigne district, Radnor; on the river Gwyddel, adjacent to the boundary with Hereford, 4 miles SSE of New Radnor, and 5¼ NNW of Whitney r. station. It contains the hamlets of Hengoed and Wainwen; and its post town is Kington. Acres, 3, 798. Real property, £3, 070. Pop., 350. Houses, 72. Gladestry Court is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £355. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. Charities £12.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Gladestry AP/CP       Presteigne PLU/RegD       Radnorshire AncC
Place: Gladestry

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.