Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GLANFORD-BRIGG, Glanford-Bridge, or Brigg

GLANFORD-BRIGG, Glanford-Bridge, or Brigg, a town, a township, a chapelry, a sub-district, and a district, in Lincolnshire. The town stands on the river Ancholme, and on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway, in the midst of the Ancholme level, 16½ miles NE of Gainsborough, and 24 N by E of Lincoln. It was originally a fishing hamlet; and it has gradually risen to considerable importance, as a seat of trade. It lies round the meeting-points of the parishes of Wrawby, Scawby, Broughton, and Bigby; and it contains portions of all these parishes. It is a sub-port, a polling-place, and a seat of petty sessions; and it has a head post office, ‡ and a railway station with telegraph, both of the name of Brigg. It has also two banking offices, a corn exchange, a three-arched bridge, a neat police station, a church, five dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a new cemetery with two chapels, a workhouse, with accommodation for 200 persons, national schools, a free grammar-school, with about £520 a year from endowment, other charities, with about £30, public reading room s, and a horticultural society. The church was built in 1843, at a cost of £3, 000; is in the pointed style, with pinnacled tower; occupies the site of a previous edifice; and is a chapel of ease to Wrawby. An hospital was founded here, in the time of King John, by Adam Pagnell; and was subordinate to Selby abbey. Vessels of small tonnage come up the Ancholme, and conduct a commerce in corn, coal, timber, and general merchandise. A large trade was formerly carried on in the manufacture of rabbit skins; but underwent decline at the draining of the Ancholme level. Markets are held on Thursdays, and a fair on 5 Aug. Pop. of the town in 1861, 3, 138. Houses, 654.-The township is in Wrawby parish; but is not all in the town. Real property, £4, 414. Pop., 1, 704. Houses, 359. Pop. of the part in the town, 1, 692. Houses, 356. -The sub-district contains the parishes of Wrawby, Broughton, Worlaby, Elsham, Barnetby-le-Wold, Melton-Ross, Kirmington, Croxton, Redbourne, Kirton-in-Lindsey, Manton, Scawby-cum-Sturton, Hibaldstow, and Cadney, and the extra-parochial tract of Newstead. Acres, 52, 077. Pop., 12, 326. Houses, 2, 634. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Winterton, containing the parishes of Winterton, Appleby, Roxby-cum-Risby, Winteringham, West Halton, Whitton, Alkborough, Burton-upon-Stather, Flixborough, Frodingham, Bottesford, and Messingham; and the sub-district of Barton, containing the parishes of Barton-St. Peter, Barton-St. Mary, Wootton, Ulceby, Killingholme, East Halton, Thornton-Curtis, Goxhill, Barrow-upon-Humber, South Ferriby, Horkstow, Saxby, and Bonby. Acres, 165, 470. Poor-rates in 1863, £15, 305. Pop. in 1851, 33, 786; in 1861, 34, 731. Houses, 7, 524. Marriages in 1862, 232; births, 1, 174, - of which 103 were illegitimate; deaths, 571, -of which 208 were at ages under 5 years, and 21 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 2, 261; births, 11, 405; deaths, 6, 409. The places of worship, in 1851, were 42 of the Church of England, with 10, 513 sittings; 7 of Independents, with 1, 474 s.; 5 of Baptists, with 722 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 256 s.; 37 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 6, 941 s.; 37 of Primitive Methodists, with 4, 158 s.; and 2 of Roman Catholics, with 240 s. The schools were 40 public day schools, with 2, 710 scholars; 94 private day schools, with 2, 025 s.; and 66 Sunday schools, with 4, 887 s.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a town, a township, a chapelry, a sub-district, and a"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Glanford Brigg Ch/CP       Glanford Brigg PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place names: BRIGG     |     GLANFORD BRIDGE     |     GLANFORD BRIGG     |     GLANFORD BRIGG GLANFORD BRIDGE OR BRIGG
Place: Brigg

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.