Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GLATTON

GLATTON, a village and a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon. The village stands 3 miles SSW of Stilton, and 3 ½ WSW of Holme r. station; and has a post office under Peterborough. The parish includes the chapelry of Holme. Acres, 6, 400. Real property, £9, 030. Pop., 937. Houses, 177. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged to the Sherards and the Wellses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £546.* Patron, J. M. Wingfield, Esq. The church is early English, with a square tower; and the chancel of it was recently restored. There are a national school, and some small charities.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Glatton AP/CP       Huntingdonshire AncC
Place: Glatton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.