Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GRANGE

GRANGE, a village and a chapelry in Cartmel parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the Winster estuary and on the Ulverstone and Lancaster railway, overlooking Morecambe bay, 2 miles ESE of Cartmel; is in much local repute as a watering-place; and has a station on the railway, and a post office† under Newton-in-Cartmel. The chapelry does not seem to have defined limits; and no statistics of it are returned. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church was built in 1853; and consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with porch and round turret.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Cartmel AP/CP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Grange

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.