Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HAGGERSTON

HAGGERSTON, a township in Ancroft parish, Northumberland; 6½ miles SE of Berwick-on-Tweed. Pop., 197. Haggerston House here belonged formerly to the Haggerstones; belongs now to Capt. Leyland; and includes an old fortified tower, in which Edward II. received the homage of the Earl of Lancaster.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Ancroft Ch/CP       Northumberland AncC
Place: Haggerston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.