Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HAILEYBURY, or HALEYBURY

HAILEYBURY, or HALEYBURY, an estate on the SE border of Herts; 1 mile N of Hoddesdon. It comprises 70 acres; was made, in 1805, the site of a college, for the East India Company s cadets; was sold, in 1861, for £15, 200; and was then to be converted into freehold land allotments.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "an estate"   (ADL Feature Type: "land parcels")
Administrative units: Hertfordshire AncC
Place names: HAILEYBURY     |     HAILEYBURY OR HALEYBURY     |     HALEYBURY
Place: Haileybury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.