Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HALWELL

HALWELL, a village and a parish in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands 5½ miles SSW of Totnes town and r. station; and has a post office, designated Halwell, Devon. The parish includes also the hamlet of Washbourne. Acres, 3, 666. Real property, with Morley, £, 732. Rated property of H. alone, £, 578. Pop., 357. Houses, 73. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £168. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is ancient, but very good; and consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with square tower. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £6.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Halwell AP/CP       Totnes PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place: Halwell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.