Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HAMPTON-POYLE

HAMPTON-POYLE, a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford, on the river Cherwell, 2 miles SE of Woodstock r. station, and 3¾ ESE of Woodstock. Post town, Woodstock. Acres, 830. Real property, £1, 429. Pop., 125. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the family of Poyle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £250. * Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church was built in the 14th century; has, in the chancel, a good early decorated English window; and contains two fine effigies of a cross legged warrior and his lady, and a brass of John Poyle of 1424. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Hampton Poyle AP/CP       Woodstock PLU/RegD       Oxfordshire AncC
Place: Hampton Poyle

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.