Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HARTLIP

HARTLIP, a village and a parish in Milton district, Kent. The village stands near Watling street and the North Kent railway, 2 miles SE of Rainham r. station, and 5½ ESE of Chatham; and has a post office under Sittingbourne. The parish comprises 1, 412 acres. Real property, £2, 723. Pop., 319. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. Remains of Roman baths, attached to a Roman villa, in a field called Lower Danefield, were discovered about 1750, and laid open in 1848; and, at their first discovery, were found to contain many bushels of wheat, apparently scorched by fire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £210.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is cruciform, and of the latter part of the 13th century; has a square Norman tower; was restored in 1865; and contains a handsome font. There are a chapel for Bible Christians, and an endowed school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hartlip AP/CP       Milton PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place: Hartlip

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.