Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HELSINGTON

HELSINGTON, a chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; near the river Kent, 3 miles SW of Oxenholme r. station, and 3¾ SSW of Kendal. Post town, Kendal. Real property, £3, 899. Pop., 302. Houses, 52. Sizergh Hall is here, and will be noticed in the article SIZERGH. A new mansion was recently built. The manor belongs to the Howards. There are gunpowder mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £125.* Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church is ancient; and there is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Helsington CP/Tn/Ch       Kendal CP/AP/Tn       Westmorland AncC
Place: Helsington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.