Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HEMSWELL

HEMSWELL, a village and a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The village stands in a valley among the Wolds, 5¼ miles SSE of Northorpe r. station, and 7 h E of Gainsborough; and has a post office under KirtonLindsey. The parish contains also the hamlet of Spittal-in-the-Street, and is traversed by Ermine street. Acres, 2, 890. Real property, £4, 036. Pop., 465. Houses, 91. The manor belongs to the Right Hon. Charles T. D, Eyncourt. An hospital for poor widows, with a small chapel, is at Spittal; was founded in the time of Edward II.; and is under the protection of the dean and chapter of Lincoln. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £63.* Patron, the Rev. James Adcock. The church is good, and has a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a few small charities.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hemswell AP/CP       Gainsborough PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Hemswell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.