Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HENLLAN

HENLLAN, a village and a parish in St. Asaph district, Denbigh. The village stands near the river Clwyd, 2½ miles N w of Denbigh r. station; and has a post. office under Rhyl. The parish comprises 14, 282 acres and is partly within Denbigh borough. Real property £17, 462; of which £352 are in gas works. Pop., 2, 607 Houses, 557. Pop. of the part within Denbigh borough, 1, 525. Houses, 346. The property is divided among a few. Part of the land is waste or upland sheep walk. Several fine seats, particularly Plas-Heaton, Garn, and Galltfaenan, are in the vicinity of the village. Lleweni was the seat of a brother of Llewelyn, and afterwards of the Salusburys; and a small priory was founded in the parish by the Salusburys, and eventually converted into a barn. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £350.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church was rebuilt in 1806; and the tower of a previous church stands on a hill above it. The rectories of Trefnant and Bylchau are separate benefices. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, national schools, some free cottages, and charities £53.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Henllan CP/AP       St Asaph PLU/RegD       Denbighshire AncC
Place: Henllan

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.