Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HEWISH, or HUISH

HEWISH, or HUISH, a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts; under the Marlborough downs, 3 miles NNW of Pewsey r. station. Post town, Pewsey, under Marlborough. Acres, 754. Real property, £932. Pop., 133. Houses, 29. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Somerset family; and was given, in 1690, to the College of Froxfield. Hewish Hill has extensive vestiges of an ancient British village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £178.* Patrons, the Trustees of Froxfield College. The church is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Huish AP/CP       Pewsey PLU/RegD       Wiltshire AncC
Place names: HEWISH     |     HEWISH OR HUISH     |     HUISH
Place: Huish

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.