Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HINTLESHAM

HINTLESHAM, a village and a parish in Samford district, Suffolk. The village stands near a branch of the river Orwell, 2¼ miles NE by N of Raydon r. station, and 4½ ENE of Hadleigh; and has a post office under Ipswich. The parish comprises 2, 828 acres. Real property, £4, 351. Pop., 613. Houses, 131. The property is divided among a few. Hintlesham Hall belonged to the Timperleys, and passed to the Lloyds and the Anstruthers. The parish is a meet for the Essex and Suffolk hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £590. * Patron, the Rev. W. H. Deane. The church is old but good, with a tower; and contains a brass of 1400, and a monument to the Misses Lloyd. There is an Independent chapel and an endowed national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hintlesham CP/AP       Samford PLU/RegD       Suffolk AncC
Place: Hintlesham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.