Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HOLME

HOLME, a parochial chapelry in Glatton parish, Huntingdon; on Holme brook and on the Great Northern railway, 7 miles S of Peterborough. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Peterborough. Acres, 4, 300. Real property, £6, 151. Pop. in 1851, 506; in 1861, 644. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Holme Wood House, belongs to W. Wells, Esq. The surface is mainly fen-land; and includes great part of what was formerly Whittlesea-mere, which has been drained and brought into cultivation. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £300.* Patron, W. Wells, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1862; and includes, in its interior, a portion of the old church. There are an endowed boys' school, with £60 a year, and charities £29.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parochial chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Glatton AP/CP       Holme Ch/Hmlt/CP       Huntingdonshire AncC
Place: Holme

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.