Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HONING

HONING, a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk; on the Ant navigation, 3½ miles SE of North Walsham r. station, and 15 NNE of Norwich. Post town, North Walsham, under Norwich. Acres, 1, 400. Real property, £2, 511. Pop., 304. Houses, 79. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Honing Hall, belongs to George E. Cubitt, Esq. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Dilham, in the diocese of Norwich. The church, with exception of the tower, was rebuilt about the end of last century; and it contains a brass of 1490. An endowed school has £15 a year, and other charities have £28.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Honing CP/AP       Smallburgh PLU/Inc/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Honing

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.