Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HORSTEAD

HORSTEAD, a village and a parish in St. Faith district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Bure, ½ a mile W of Coltishall, and 6 NNE of Norwich r. station; and took its name, which is a corruption of "Hursted" or wood place, from the former abundance of wood about it.—The parish includes the quondam parish of Stanninghall, and bears the name of Horstead-with-Stanninghall. Post town, Coltishall, under Norwich. Acres, 2, 733. Real property, £4, 181. Pop., 608. Houses, 121. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Dr. Thomas Blake. Horstead Hall, a mansion of 1835, in the Tudor style, is a seat of Lord Suffield. An ancient priory was here, a cell to Trinity abbey at Caen, in Normandy; and was given to King's College, Cambridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich.. Value, £580.* Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, but very good; has a square tower; and contains an ancient font, and monuments of the Hornsells, the Wards, and the Townshends. Charities, £11.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Horstead AP/CP       Norfolk AncC
Place: Horstead

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.