Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HUXLEY

HUXLEY, a village and a township in Waverton parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Chester canal and the Chester and Crewe railway, 3½ miles WSW of Tarporley; and has a post office under Chester. The township comprises 1, 501 acres. Real property, £2, 441. Pop., 253. Houses, 49. Lower Huxley Hall belonged to the Clive family, and is a fine old moated mansion. Higher Huxley Hall belonged to the Savages, and passed to the Cholmondeley family. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Huxley Tn/CP       Waverton AP/CP       Cheshire AncC
Place: Huxley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.