Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for IBSTONE, or IPSTONE

IBSTONE, or IPSTONE, a parish in the district of Wycombe, and counties of Buckingham and Oxford; 6 miles WSW of West Wycombe r. station, and 8 W of High Wycombe. It has a post office under Tetsworth. Acres, 1, 112. Real property, £2, 545. Pop., 325. Houses, 68. Pop., of the Bucks portion, 153. Houses, 33. The manor belongs to Merton College, Oxford. Ibstone House is the seat of Lady Franks. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Fingest, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is plain.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Ibstone CP/AP       Wycombe PLU/RegD       Buckinghamshire AncC       Oxfordshire AncC
Place names: IBSTONE     |     IBSTONE OR IPSTONE     |     IPSTONE
Place: Ibstone

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.