Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for IFIELD

IFIELD, a village and a parish in Horsham district, Sussex. The village stands on the river Mole, 1½ mile NW of Crawley r. station, and 7 NE of Horsham; and has a post office under Crawley. The parish comprises 4, 1 16 acres. Real property, £5, 086. Pop., in 1851, 1, 112; in 1861, 1, 307. Houses, 248. The property is much subdivided. The manor be1ongs to Lord Rodney and Capt. Pipon. Ifield Court House, an old moated building, was recently taken down; and a new house, not within the moat, was erected. Ironstone was formerly dug and smelted. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £217. * Patron, the Rev. R. N. Blaker. The church is early decorated English; comprises nave, ais1es, and chancel; and contains recumbent statues of a Knight Templar and his lady There is a Quakers' chapel. A Franciscan monastery was recently erected.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ifield AP/CP       Horsham PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place: Ifield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.