Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for IRETON (Kirk)

IRETON (Kirk), a township in Ashborne district, and a parish partly also in Belper district, Derby. The township lies 1½ mile NW of Idridgehay r. station, and 5½ WNW of Belper; and has a post office under Wirksworth. Real property, £3, 182. Pop., 515. Houses, 130.. The parish contains also the township of IretonWood, and comprises 2, 290 acres. Real property, £4, 472. Pop., 671. Houses, 163. The manor belongs to Peter Arkwright, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £400.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The Church is partly Norman; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and an endowed school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Belper PLU/RegD       Derbyshire AncC
Place names: IRETON     |     IRETON KIRK     |     KIRK IRETON
Place: Kirk Ireton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.