Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KINGSDON

KINGSDON, a village and a parish in Langford district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Cary and the Fosse way, 2¼ miles N of Ilchester, and 6 W of Sparkford r. station; and has a post office under Taunton. The parish comprises 2, 064 acres. Real property, £3, 190. Pop., 472. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to A. Moody, Esq. Kingsdon Hill commands a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £432.* Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is early and decorated English, in good condition; comprises nave, aisle, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains a piscina, and an effigies of a Knight Templar.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Kingsdon CP/AP       Somerset AncC
Place: Kingsdon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.