Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KNILL

KNILL, a parish. in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford; on the river Lug, at the boundary with Wales, and on Offa's dyke, 3½ miles SW by S of Presteigne, and 4 NNW of Kington r. station. Post town, Kington. Acres, 798. Real property, £789Pop., 84. Houses, 19. The manor, with Knill Court, belongs to Sir J. J. Walsham, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £90. Patron, Sir J. J. Walsham, Bart. The church stands in the beautiful grounds of Knill Court; is ancient, and ivy clad; and has a tower, with a wooden spire. Sir Samuel Romilly was buried here.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Knill CP/AP       Herefordshire AncC
Place: Knill

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.