Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LEA

LEA, a village in Dethwick chapelry, Ashover parish, Derby; near the river Derwent and the Midland railway, 2½ miles SE of Matlock. It has a post office, of the name of Lea Bridge, under Matlock Bath, chapels for Wesleyans and Unitarians, spacious schools erected in 1860 under supervision of Miss Florence Nightingale, lead smelting works, and hat and hosiery manufactories. Lea Hurst, in the neighbourhood, is a handsome Gothic mansion, the seat of W. E. Nightingale, Esq.; and possesses interest in association with Miss Florence Nightingale.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ashover AP/Tn/CP       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Lea

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.