Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LEMSFORD

LEMSFORD, a hamlet and a chapelry in BishopsHatfield parish, Herts. The hamlet lies on the river Lea, near the Great Northern railway, 2½ miles N by W of Hatfield; and bears the name of Lemsford-Mills.—The chapelry was constituted in 1858; and its Post town is Welwyn. Pop, 490. Houses, 97. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £200.* Patron, Countess Cowper. The church stands opposite the entrance of Brocket Park, on land belonging to Earl Cowper; was erected in 1859, by Countess Cowper and her children, in memory of the late Earl; is mainly in the early English style, with chancel in a later style; and has a tower.

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hertfordshire AncC
Place names: LEMSFORD     |     LEMSFORD MILLS
Place: Lemsford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.