Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LIMINGTON

LIMINGTON, a village and a parish in Yeovil district, Somerset. The village stands 1¼ mile SE of Ilchester, and 6 SW by W of Sparkford r. station.—The parish includes the tything of Draycott; and its Post town is Ilchester, under Taunton. Acres, 1,602. Real property, £2,703. Pop., 341. Houses, 73. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to G. D. Digby, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £412. * Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is early decorated and later English; consists of nave, N transept, and chancel, with porch and lofty tower; and contains a recumbent effigies of Sir Gilbert Gyverny, of the 14th century, several mural monuments of the Beatons, and the arms of Lord Harrington, of the 15th century. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school. Cardinal Wolsey was rector.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Limington AP/CP       Yeovil PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Limington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.