Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LLANBADDOCK

LLANBADDOCK, a parish, with a village, in Pontypool district, Monmouth; on the river Usk, 1 mile S of Usk town and r. station. Post town, Usk, under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 3,465. Real property, £3,747: of which £91 are in fisheries. Pop., 452. Houses, 104. The property is much subdivided. The road from Usk to Caerleon traverses the parish, and goes, for some distance, between the bank of the Usk and a wooded precipice. Traces of the Julian way are in the vicinity. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £72. Patron, the Rev. T. A. Williams. The church is dedicated to St. Madocus, and is good. There are a school with £8 a year from endowment, and other charities £7.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Llanbadog AP/CP       Pont Y Pool PLU/RegD       Monmouthshire AncC
Place: Llanbadog

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.