Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LLANERFYL

LLANERFYL, a village and a parish in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The village stands on the river Banw, near the Sarn Sws Roman way, 5 miles NW by W of Llanfair, and 10 SW of Llanfyllin r. station; and has a post office under Welshpool. The parish includes the townships of Cefnllys-Isaf, Cefnllys-Uchaf, Crane, Llyssin, Coedtalog, and Cenlwyll. Acres, 16,255. Real property, £5,291. Pop., 885. Houses, 183. The property is chiefly divided between two. Newadd-Wen was the seat of Meredydd ap Cynan; and Llyssin was the seat of the Herberts. Much of the surface is bleak upland. Traces exist of copper ore. An ancient circular rampart, enclosing an area of about 70 yards, overlooks the village; another ancient fortification is at Moelddol-wyn; numberous barrows are on the hills; and three pools, at one of which is a stone inscribed with the date 1430, are on Mynydd-Drum. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £435. * Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Erval; and is early English, in fair condition. A stone with a very old inscription, and a well formerly reputed holy, are near the church. There is an endowed school, with £32 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Llanerfyl CP/AP       Llanfyllin PLU/RegD       Montgomeryshire AncC
Place: Llanerfyl

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.